Monday, November 05, 2007

What to exhaust next?

Since I quit my job, I'm starting to feel like the baby did, indeed, eat my brain. I've been reading a lot of fiction, including Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. This is an eye-opening look at intersex (formerly hermaphrodite) individuals. It's truly a shame that our culture feels a need to "fix" babies who don't look typical instead of allowing them to make their own decisions down the road. A seriously excellent read. I can't loan it to you ... borrowed from the library.

I feel as if I'm really getting my tax dollar out of our fair city's shared spaces. I walk in our little "Central Park" nearly every morning and frequent the library. It's funny that the fewer taxes we pay, the more we utilize the benefits of those taxes.

But I digress ...

I'm looking for a new topic to investigate to death. Previous interests have included neaderthals, mormonism and slavery during pre-civil war New Orleans. I need to feed my brain with some non-fiction, but nothing has peaked my interest as of late. Any suggestions? As a bonus for you, you'll probably get to hear all about it the next time we see each other. I'm going a meandering through the non-fiction section of the library during my next trip. Maybe something will jump at me.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Well, I'm knee-deep in Central/South American history right now, so I can recommend that. Maybe look into the United Fruit Company, conquest of Hernanado Cortes, or the dirty wars in Chile or Argentina?

Jube said...

As it turns out, I chose a book called "Fatland" that looks at the variables leading to the U.S. being the fattest country on the planet. Pretty interesting ... and also renews my desire to raise a healthy child.

Anonymous said...

I am currently reading a series of books (like 30+) that follow a family in England starting in the early 1200's to present day. Just finished the 3rd book, Henry VIII died.

I plan on starting the next one after Thanksgiving. To much to do to start another right now.

Mom

 
Designed by Lena