Thursday, December 22, 2011

Genes are weird

I put off dentist appointments for the boys and I until after my semester ended. Thus, this week was a lot of dentist. Gummy Bear has an underbite that the dentist assures me will need orthodontia. Hurrah! He also had his first set of x-rays, which were super cool. I could see all his permanent teeth overlapping in his hard palate, just waiting to emerge.

I also took Cheeky Monkey in for his first dentist appointment. He took a tumble into a fence about 6 weeks ago, and one of his teeth is looking a bit grey as a result. While the dentist didn't seem overly concerned about that tooth, she did discover a few congenital abnormalities.

I wasn't super surprised to hear that he had teeth weirdness. I have a baby tooth that never fell out. I have no permanent tooth to replace it. The dentist said the root looks good and unless it starts to give me problems we'll just leave it alone. Her oldest patient with a baby tooth was 88.

As it turns out, Monkey is not only missing a tooth on the top, he has two canine teeth on the lower left. Seriously? How did I never notice this? Our dentist said this may or may not be replicated in his permanent teeth. She also said it may or may not be a problem. In the meantime, it's not bothering him right now and so she's not going to do anything about it right now.

This evening I took a good look at his mouth. Sure enough, he has two canine teeth. Genes are weird.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I have 8 cervical vertebrae and can touch my tounge to mt nose

ldupbeat said...

Hi Jenn,
As you know I also had a baby tooth. My permanent tooth was buried up in my sinus cavity. Amber also had an under-bite, which later required surgery and braces, but Ashley only had crooked teeth. So, your right genes are weird, but it sounds like your dentist is excellent. When the girls were little our dentist never picked up on anything. It's a long story but I had to ask the dentist to find out what was wrong in most of our cases.

 
Designed by Lena