Saturday, September 10, 2011

The independent streak

My Gummy Bear is what you might politely call independent. He has unfortunately gotten the worst of my stubborn streak, and we often butt heads. My constant struggle with him is how to mold this independent, stubborn spirit without breaking it. My mantra has been someday I'll be grateful. 


For the first time, I'm starting to see someday.

Chatting with my girlfriends, I'm learning that kids Gummy Bear's age are beginning to get cliquey and exclusionary.  Apparently, most kids notice and care. I don't know if Gummy Bear doesn't notice or doesn't care. It doesn't matter to me, because he doesn't get his feelings hurt.

We went to a birthday party today for a friend who he is not close friends with. One of the other boys looked at Gummy Bear halfway through and said, "Do you even know [birthday boy]?" Gummy Bear looked at him like what are you talking about, and walked away to finish his mini golf game. He's far more interested in doing stuff than talking, being part of the in group, or worrying about what other kids think of him.

For that, I'm grateful.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena