Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Life in a cubicle farm:

At times hilarious, at times deeply, deeply disturbing. For the most part, I would have to say that my demotion to a cublicle has been a good thing. I enjoy the social atmosphere of our little office now that we have no walls. Since it is just the 4 people in the training room, we can play music, yell to each other and hold impromtu conversations. Of course there are the obvious downsides to life in a cubicle, like trying to hear your phone conversation over someone elses and a complete lack of privacy for the occasional personal phone call. All of that is understandable, and in my view, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

... except for your exceptionally weird cubicle neighbor. Yes, this is the man who says "Ahhhh" after each sip of water, listens only to show tunes and Frank Sinatra, and makes the kind of organic smacking noise that our beloved Maggie made when her mouth was dry. This is the man who objects to Diana Krall because she just can't sing the old music like Frank, sings loudly and off key to Christmas music, baby talks to his wife and revels in the fact that he "has always been a loner." Yes he drives me crazy.

Today I realized however, that in addition to driving me crazy he injects my day with little moments of shared silent laughter with the rest of my office mates. I have to admit, he's beginning to grow on me. While he may never be a man I choose to have an adult beverage with, it's his very quirkiness that endears him. I have to admit that I'm beginning to enjoy my strange cubible neighbor ... well at least most of the time.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena