Monday, June 02, 2008

Catch 22

We started looking into some child care options for T for a few half days a week. We were looking to see if we could afford some child care to a.) give me a little non-baby time and b.) give me options to take more than one class a semester and still see my husband. We checked out the Goddard School, which as Ry put it, is the "Cadillac of Day Care Centers." Cannot afford. The private care options are better, but still expensive, and many commercial day care centers don't allow half days until your child reaches the age of 2.

See, here's the issue:

I'd really like to be able to finish my degree in less than 4 years both because I'm excited to start my career as a nurse and also because I'd like to start contributing to our household sooner rather than later (I have latent guilt over not contributing income). In order for us to afford child care I would need to go back to work or drastically change our lifestyle. Part time options aren't great, but are available. The problem is that I'd be using the child care to go to work, not to go to school. Now, I'm working to pay for child care and still taking classes in the evening. The drastic lifestyle changes aren't really an option either since we'd like to remain homeowners and all that. We qualify for zero financial aid (except unsubsidized loans). Is it worth it to acquire some debt short term so I can finish school a couple years sooner and therefore start working earlier or does it make more sense to just take my class or two a semester? This is all complicated, of course, by the fact that we aren't done having kids and I may need to take a semester or two off.

Umm. Grrr. I wish that I would have known what I wanted to do with my life 10 years ago when I was going to college the first time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel about the first time around thing (not the child care dilemna obviously) There is a woman in my bio class that is pregnant and already has 5 kids! She's going to the nursing program as well, I don't see how it is possible! i guess the only way to fix the daycare thing and make money is to open a daycare yourself!
~Cath

Becky said...

What about a babysitter? I knew plenty of responsible young ladies in high school who earned money through regular babysitting jobs. It might be cheaper than a day care center.

Either way, life is rough sometimes! If you end up joining the school loan indebted club (we'll be founding members), you won't be alone!

Jube said...

I would definitely consider a babysitter, but if I go to school during the day, they're going to be ... in school.

Yep, I know some student loans aren't the end of the world. We just don't really want to add to our debt burden at this point in our lives. Strangely enough, the child care is by far the biggest cost, not school. I've never seen a child care loan.

ldupbeat said...

Wow, Jenn, I hadn't realized you wanted to become a nurse. That is way cool! I'm really glad to read your blog. I really miss being a part of your family. Hey, some colleges have a daycare center, perhaps that could help you. Good luck! I didn't get my degree until I was 33, its never too late to do what you love.

 
Designed by Lena