Monday, July 07, 2008

Independence Day Drama

We went to a friend's house for a July 4th barbecue Saturday afternoon. Quite a few of our friends were there, along with some of Ry's colleagues who might be most accurately described as folks who end up at the same parties we do. We had a great time, especially since our hosts have a baby of their own and were able to offer up a pack 'n play for T. We actually didn't leave the party until 11 pm or so. I digress ...

Two of the people there were one of Ry's colleagues and his brother. They and their dates got beyond wasted. Watching the spectacle was entertaining, especcially when one of the dates in question completely missed her chair and swan-dived on the deck. Then brother and his girlfriend got into an argument (a frequent occurence from what I understand). Then the dial was turned to drama. They went outside to discuss and came inside only when brother broke the window of the van with a golf club.

Now, as the beer cart girl at a country club for a summer, I saw my share of golf club tirades. They mostly consisted of thrown clubs and divots in the ground where said clubs were used as hammers. Of course, they also had to do with ... golf. Everyone gets angry. I get it. Gotta tell you, if my significant other used a golf club to bash in a car window during an argument, that would be the last moment the other was significant. The poor girl came inside and asked for a garbage bag so she could go clean up the mess. Seriously? She needs to run as fast as her legs can carry her before she gets entangled in a more permanent way. Here's the kicker. The brothers are sons of a pastor.

All in all, the evening made me 1.) Very thankful for my husband 2.) Very glad I'm not dating anymore and 3.) Very glad that my life makes me only a spectator in this kind of drama.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Dude. That whole golf club through the window thing would have meant "buh-bye" for me.

It would be funny, if wasn't also scary.

Anonymous said...

Amen to the things you learned that night. I definatly do not miss drama in my life, nor does the thought of dating again interest me in the least! I never would have guessed 5 or 6 years ago that I actually prefer the "drama-free" existence. Ahhh, getting old, i guess it isn't ALL bad!
~Cathy

nana said...

Run, run as fast as your legs will go.

 
Designed by Lena