Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sneak Attack

It's funny how things can sneak up on you. The other evening, I was putting Little Bit down for the night. It was dark and warm and as I dozed I started thinking about how much my life was going to change in the fall. One of the requirements for beginning our nursing program is to have your titers checked to make sure you're up to date on all vaccinations. I know there are some vaccines you cannot have if you are pregnant, but I didn't know if breastfeeding was a counter indication for vaccination.I looked down at my baby as he fell asleep and started wondering. What if I had to have a booster vaccine? What if I couldn't have it while I was nursing? Was I ready to quit nursing in September? F would only be 10 months old. Maybe I would be. But what if I wasn't? What if he wasn't?
And before I knew it, I was in tears. I never realized that I had such a strong emotional connection to breastfeeding. I always figured I was nursing my babies because it was the healthiest thing for them, and frankly, a lot more convenient. As it turns out, I take as much out of the experience as they do.
As soon as I got downstairs, I got online, and to my delight, found that vaccines during breastfeeding were OK. Whew. Now F and I can decide when it's time to stop nursing. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Papa said...

This is the most adorable picture of Finley to date! Love the cheeks! Can't wait to spoil him!

 
Designed by Lena