Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dear Target


Today I went into your Lawrenceville, NJ Target for my weekly Target run and to return a bottle sterilizer I received as a gift at my baby shower. Imagine my shock when the clerk at customer service informed me that because the gift cost more than $20 and I didn’t have a receipt I could not return it. The justification I received for this policy was that if someone stole an item they couldn’t return it for the cash or store credit. I always hear Target rhetoric about giving back to the communities they serve. How about giving the benefit of the doubt to the great majority of your loyal customers instead of crafting an asinine policy to punish the tiniest minority? I have already been shocked by your practice of discontinuing an item only to bring it back in a different color to justify returning a tenth of the value of the item. These policies highlight a base and money-grubbing leadership. I am a weekly shopper, and usually spend $70-100 per trip. Please be assured that I will no longer be purchasing any gifts from Target and will do my utmost to dramatically decrease or eliminate the rest of my Target shopping as a result of this policy. I have long not shopped at Wal-Mart due to the way they treat their customers, suppliers and employees. Today, Target demonstrated a similar allegiance to the almighty dollar over common sense, courtesy and trust. Please don’t lose any sleep over the loss of this customer, but do know that I will tell everyone I know about the ill-advised policies of Target Corp and counsel them to find somewhere else to shop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had several very similar issues with Target so, I shop for groceries at my local Schnucks, get my gifts from Kohl's, Macy, etc., and get my cleaning supplies mostly from Costco or Schnucks. The aggravation is not worth the extra $$ I may realize besides with Schnucks double coupons I come out ahead shopping there any way.

Love,

Mom

 
Designed by Lena