Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Does one issue a social conservative make?

My sister sent me this article, which is a debate between two journalists about whether one can be both a feminist and a Palin-supporter.  While the discussion about Palin is interesting, what is more interesting to me is that both authors seem to be saying that you cannot be both pro-life and a feminist. Also, if you are pro-life, you are by definition a social conservative. I am pro-life. I'm also pro gay marriage, anti abstinence only education, pro contraception, pro extended (paid) family leave, pro universal healthcare and semipro affirmative action. By this definition, I am a social conservative and not a feminist.  

 I'm not big on labeling. I think it mostly divides people, amps up the vitriole and contributes to the "us vs. them" mentality of our political system.  It's easy to label someone a feminist or a social conservative, but the real picture is in shades of gray.  This is probably why I've never declared a political party. Labels; I defy thee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on all counts. I don't believe you have to compromise your personal convictions just so you can fit into someone else's arbitrary definitions. I, too am pro-life, pro gay marriage, pro-sex education, pro-contraception, and a Christian. I also don't believe that just because someone in a position of authority holds certain beliefs, that they are automatically on a mission to force those beliefs on the population through legislation. This same discussion was prominent when JFK was running for office. He was Catholic, and there were those that were worried that he'd try to force his beliefs, and those of the pope, onto the American public.

Anonymous said...

Lala, Really?

The LA Times 9/8/08:
Gibson: Roe vs. Wade: Do you think it should be reversed?
Palin: I think it should, and I think that states should be able to decide that issue. I am pro-life. I do respect other people's opinion on this also, and I think that a culture of life is best for America. What I want to do, when elected vice president, with John McCain,
hopefully, [is] be able to reach out and work with those who are on the other side of this issue. . .
Gibson: John McCain
would allow abortion in cases of rape and incest. Do you believe in it only in the case where the life of the mother is in danger?
Palin: That is my personal opinion.

The Washington Times, 9/3/08: “John McCain has a zero vote rating from Planned Parenthood, a leading abortion-rights organization. The National Right to Life PAC, which endorses Mr. McCain's presidential candidacy, says he "has a solid voting record against abortion and has cast 31 pro-life votes since 1997, including a vote against endorsing Roe v. Wade." In making the endorsement, the National Right to Life PAC also notes that Mr. McCain voted to confirm President Bush's nominations of John Roberts and Samuel Alito as justices of the Supreme Court.”

It takes one Supreme Court nomination.

 
Designed by Lena