Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Grrr. Slackers

I've been a student for a number of years in a number of different classes.  All of those classes contained their fair share of slackers.  I always figured they'd pay the price for late assignments and poor study habits and didn't think too much about it.  I never took it personally until now.  

About 80% of the students in my A&P class are nursing majors and the rest have something to do with the medical field.  One of my fellow students is "Ann."  Ann is a woman in her 50s who works for the state government as some kind of clerk.  She's a single woman. She fractured her foot at the beginning of class and has been out of work since (and isn't planning to return until the first week of November).  Other than the A&P class she is taking one other class this semester.  So, here's the math, she's not working, doesn't have a family and is taking 2 classes this semester.  And yet, every week she turns in her lab assignments late, usually by doing the assignment during the lab.  She was glad to have passed the first exam.

Now, why do I take this personally? She wants to be a nurse!  She is going to be administering medication, performing treatments and caring for people in life and death situations.  I don't want her to be my nurse.  I know that someone has to be at the bottom of the class, but seriously?  I can only hope that she'll wash out when she gets into the nursing curriculum.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena