Sunday, July 10, 2011

Um, that's a lot of kids

As I go about my daily life, I don't often stop to reflect on how it's changing. It's just my life, and since it gradually morphs everyday, I don't notice any big shifts.

Then, every once in a while something strikes me and reminds me how very much my life has changed in the last 8 years. Something like this picture:
And there was a baby on the floor
We went to a friend's house for a BBQ last weekend and when we got home I looked at this picture and thought, Holy cow, that's a lot of kids. Five or 6 short years ago our get-togethers would have started at dinner time, included much merry-making and ended quite late and possibly, quite tipsy. Now when we all get together we bring sippy cups, lawn toys and pajamas for many small bodies. Parties start after naptime and usually wrap up when we all bundle our kids into their PJs and tuck them in their carseats for the bedtime ride home. Our conversations revolve around preschools, playdates and sibling rivalry. We split our attention between adult interaction and making sure no little fingers have been squished or feelings hurt.

Eight years ago, I might have looked at my life and given an involuntary shudder. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena