Saturday, February 23, 2008

Keiki Cafe

I am always running into other mothers of young (pre-kindergarten) kids when I'm out and about. Like me, they're looking for things to do with their young'uns to get out of the house. Unfortunately, most places (if they're kid-friendly) are geared towards much older kids. I've met moms at bookstores, coffee shops, malls, Target-boutique, and even grocery stores that are looking for ways to get out of the house and expend some energy.

Thus was born the idea for Keiki Cafe (Keiki is Hawaiian for kid). Why Hawaiian? Because I said so. Anyhow, the Cafe will be a Bistro/Coffee Shop in the Hawaiian theme. Lots of fresh food, simple meals and friendly folks. In addition to traditional adult fare, it will offer steamed veggies as side dishes (I'm astounded by how few kid's meals aren't fried) and lots of fresh fruit. It will also sell baby food, whole milk and baby emergency items (disposable bibs, diapers, sippy cups). It might also sell my line of fun baby stuff.

The center of the cafe will have a sunken play area designed for the under 5 set. The floor will be that cool cushy stuff they make from tires and the playsets will continue the Hawaiian theme with giant flowers, sea turtles and pineapples. Tables will flank the sunken play area so moms (and dads) can keep tabs on their kids while they eat. The walls will be lined with chalk boards for table-time distraction. It will also have wireless internet for work at homers who have the kids.

Bathrooms will feature adult and kid sized everything (if you've been in the bathroom at a Babies R'Us you know what I mean). It'll also have a cushy chair for women who prefer to nurse in private.

So, what do you think? Seriously, I'd like your opinions. I certainly don't have the money (or time) to start something like this, but I've had a lot of ideas since T was born, and I'd really like to get some feedback. Is the niche too small? I realize that it could only be supported in a middle/upper income area. Would I have to broaden the concept? Anyhow, your feedback?

We've traveled quite extensively with T. I have another idea for a Kiddotel. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work nationwide, but might make a nice addition to kid-magnets like Orlando, FL. I'll expand on this one in another post.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I would LOVE this. The room needs to have several sets of doors - so if your child escapes, he's not immediately outside. I'd spend every afternoon there. LOL.

This is my favorite place I've found to take the boys so far, but it's about 45 minutes away and costs me $16.50ish just for admission ...

http://www.littlevillageplayplace.com/

They need more of a cafe inside, though.

 
Designed by Lena