Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ruthless Purging

We are in the process of converting the office into T's "big boy" room.  The process is not without pain.   The office became our "I don't know what to do with it, so throw it in the office" room.  As such, we had an entire season of shoes, random toys, books and baby paraphernalia, a desktop full of long-neglected filing and a closet full of who-knows-what.  As we move out our junk to make room for the dresser and twin-sized bed, I've been doing some ruthless purging.  Books I haven't read in +2 years?  Into the donation pile.  Shoes I haven't worn in over a year?  Good-will box.  Random paper, cards, bags, broken toys?  Into the trash with you!  It is very freeing to get rid of the unneeded detritous of our lives.  Having a family is keeping us honest.  This is a small house and I refuse to turn into one of those poor people on Dr. Phil who have houses stacked to the ceiling with crap they couldn't possibly use.  Ahh, I feel better.

4 comments:

G'pa said...

I can't visualize where the office is and why T can't keep his current room with a big boy bed. Just being nosy.

Jube said...

1. The nursery is pretty little. 2. I wanted a downstairs space he could play in. Our living area is pretty limited and adding the room adds about 50% to the space. 3. We're planning on having more kids, and it makes more sense to keep the nursery the nursery, since it's close to our room.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I must admit i am a recovering packrat myself (I swear it is hereditary, when my grandpa died there were three barn stuffed to the breaking point of randomness) But after moving out here and then moving again last year I realized that the boxes that I had never unpacked in the first place (you know, the "random crap" boxes) obviously did not contain things that I really needed, so I have made a huge effort myself to try and simplify and throw away. It sure does feel good!

Patty said...

It feels SO SO SO good to get rid of stuff!!! Good for you!!

 
Designed by Lena