Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Clothes, it turns out

I've been wanting to learn how to decorate cakes.  I don't want to make wedding cakes or anything, but I thought it would be a useful talent.  Do you know how expensive decorated kids cakes are?  Since we have lots of birthdays and events coming up, I thought to myself, "self, you should be able to do some basic decorating."  I thought I would use my tax rebate money to enroll in a cake decorating class.  Alas, there are none to be found.  I looked at community colleges, grocery stores, and even bakeries, but no dice.  The only thing I came up with were semester-long cake decorating classes.  Now I'd like to learn as much as the next gal, but I'm not spending a couple hundred dollars and an entire semester doing it.  In the end, I bought a few pieces of clothing to supplement my sad, sad little wardrobe.  Yes, Cathy, I bought a rocking pair of jeans too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

just check out some books from the library on cake decorating and you could probably learn the basics. I'm glad you found some great jeans, nothing compares!! See you in two weeks!!!!

Anonymous said...

You could try your local Michaels. They have classes every month on all things crafty and decorate-y.

Amanda said...

Jenn,
Hey! It's Becky's friend Amanda here. My mom (www.sweettreatsatlanta.webs.com) mostly taught herself over the years through experimentation. She has taken all of the wilton courses (offered at your local Michael's- see the link below) and also some master courses from culinary schools but her best techniques she figured out herself.

I also googled 'cake decorating' for videos and found some promising videos that offer just as much as the basic classes.

Best of luck!

http://www.wilton.com/classes/locateclass.cfm

Jube said...

I don't know why I didn't think about Michaels. I guess I don't associate craft stores with food. Anyhow, the Michaels and the AC Moore nearby have classes. I think I'm going to sign up for one that starts at the end of March (you know, since I have a few things to do this month). Thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

That's great. If you need some supplies let me know, I will ship you some. I have lots.

Mom

 
Designed by Lena