Monday, December 20, 2010

Weaning: A Tale of Two Children

I weaned my older son, T, when he was between 12 and 13 months old.  He didn't really seem to notice.  As long as I continued to feed and water him, he was a happy guy.  Stupidly, I thought that was just how weaning went.

F is between 13 and 14 months, and I have started actively trying to wean him.  I am going to my sister's for 5 days in January, and I want to be done before that.  I figure slowly weaning him now will be better than just stopping cold-turkey in January (for both of us).

Anyway, the only time he nurses now is before sleeping.  Last week, I dropped the nursing before his nap. Oh, the tears!  He cried, and tried to go down my shirt, and threw his head back, wailing and making the sign for "drink." Honestly, I'm torn between feeling really sad for him and laughing at the drama.  The first day, he did it for about 15 minutes.  Today, it was more like 5. He's still none too happy.  I'm going to drop the nursing before bedtime after Christmas. Then, we'll be done.

I wonder how long the tempest will rage?

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena