Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Local politics make me smile

The other day T and I were at a thank you luncheon for our local Friends of the Library.  I met one of our newly-elected Freeholders.  What is a Freeholder?  According to our friendly Freeholder-elect, the Freeholders are the legislative branch for the county.  Essentially they perform the same function as the township Council, but for the county.  

He also told me that he used to sit on the township council and prior to that was the President of our Friends of the Library group.  It never occured to me that Friends of the Library was a political organization.  A good 80% of the group are retirement age (or older).  They're really nice people, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't think that Presidency was a stepping stone to elected office.

Anyhow, he was a nice enough guy, but definitely a politician. I half expected him to pick T up and kiss him. Maybe he'll run for state office some day and I can say I knew him when he was a lowly member of the Friends of the Library.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena