Friday, April 27, 2012

Transition: The beginning

Last night, I started the transition for nursing school. My transition is 60 hours I spend shadowing a nurse. In my case, I'm on a maternity floor, on night shift. I have to say, it was awesome.

My nerves got the better of me a few times, but overall, I feel like I have found my calling. I was surprised that it took until about 5:30 am before I really started to feel the night shift of it all. I had some wonderful experiences (including my first two blood draws!), and can't wait for tonight. I really like the vibe of the the night shift. The nurses are all very friendly, and I came away from the shift feeling like I just had a sleepover where we happened to be working. It's kind of surreal to wish people a good morning when you've been up for 26 hours and want nothing more than to be horizontal. Just saying.

I was in bed by 8:15 am and slept like a dead thing until 2:13 pm, when my eyes popped open. "Ding!" Apparently I was done sleeping, because I tried to go back to sleep for another 25 minutes, but it was not happening. So now I'll take a shower, get my boys, make dinner and start all over again. Sleep. Eat. Work. Repeat.

I'm going to be a nurse, ya'll!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena