Monday, August 04, 2008

Books and Awesomeness

I just bought my books for my (one) class this semester. They're going to cost about $250. I've had entire full time semesters when my books didn't cost that much. I digress.

One of my "books" is "An Interactive Cadaver Dissection Experience." I'm distressingly torn between "Awesome" and "Really?" I wouldn't have guessed a freshman level biology class would need a cadaver dissection experience. Also, my materials for next semester's bio class include a dissection kit. Concerned. Does nursing curriculum include actual cadaver dissection? I would that level of knowledge wouldn't be required unless you were, say, going to be a doctor or surgeon. Seriously, does anyone know? The short descriptions I've read of the courses don't say anything about it. Ahh, but wait, my lab materials say "Cat Version." Hmmm. Mystery solved. How does that make you feel, Chief?

2 comments:

Becky said...

Brad tells me that some med schools make students dissect frogs while they're still alive - so you can see the heart beat... Yikes! At least you probably won't have to do one of those!

Regarding cost of books - welcome to science classes!

ldupbeat said...

To be an OTR you must also dissect a cadaver. I only had to view a dissection, not do one, but I'm a COTA. Good luck with that!

 
Designed by Lena