Friday, August 08, 2008

How popular are you?

Along the lines of my sister's cool movie charts, I recently discovered that the social security administration keeps lists of the top 1000 baby names for every year since 1880. For example, the year I was born, my first name was the most popular girl's name and my middle name was 10th. Hooray for the country's most generic name. My name was also the most popular girl's name for 15 years. 15 years!! My mother always told me that she didn't realize my name was so popular when she named me. Ah hem. It had been the most popular girl's name for 9 years before I was born. Hazy memories? Anyway, it's kind of cool, take a look.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Interesting! Brad and I's names both follow much the same pattern. They both became moderately popular a few decades ago, but how taken a serious plunge in the past several years.

I think Tucker has exactly the right amount of popularity: not too common, but not crazy either. Good choice!

Anonymous said...

Mine didn't even make the list! Not even Catherine or Katherine etc., very surprising considering the crazy amount of "Katie" s I grew up with, "Cathy" not so surprising because I have only met 1 Cathy that was my age, when someone knows a "cathy" it is typicall their aunt, mom, or grandma!

 
Designed by Lena