Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things I learned in BIO 103 last night

1. I have been spoiled by social science professors who are good teachers. This woman could write the book on how not to give a lecture:
  • Make sure that people can't take notes and listen to you at the same time.
  • Go through your slides so fast people can't copy the whole thing.
  • Don't use any diagrams or visual aids when explaining new concepts.
  • Assume your students actually know everything you're talking about already.
  • Give a 15 minute break and then start class again in 7 or 8.
2. Fully 2/3 of the class are non-traditional students and fully 1/3 are older than me.
3. About 85% of the class was female.
4. This is a really different kind of learning for me. The first 5 years of college were about concepts and conceptual thinking. This class is memorization and jargon. I'm going to have to break out the flashcards.
5. I don't know that I can take 3 of these science/lab classes plus a math class in the spring. We'll have to see how much study time this class actually takes.
6. I still feel good about my choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sucks! I'm sorry for that, I was incredibly pleased with my instructor for BIO and my A & P seems good so far as well. They actually asked us what teaching styles worked best. In fact, I almost felt like she was making it too easy to pass! I guess that is in comparison to university classes where there are sometimes 300 students, there's not a lot of room to wiggle there! I hope your other classes are better.

 
Designed by Lena