Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meander for Babies

Today a friend and I walked in our local March of Dimes - March for Babies. I raised over $300 dollars, thanks to my wonderful family and friends. Thanks, wonderful family and friends!

The day dawned rainy and cool. While I decided to leave F at home, I never considered not walking. I picked up my friend bright and early at 8:30 and we left for the March. The beginning of the event was at a local ice rink. We got there, got parked, and got registered. Then we waited for the beginning of the walk. Around 9, we glanced onto the rink and saw a herd of people ever so slowly meandering around in circles. Confused, we rushed into the rink and joined the herd. I had to stifle my urge to mooo. After one loop, I stopped one of the event's organizers and asked her what was going on. She told us that they were holding the walk inside.

Really? Do you have any idea how long it would take to go 5 miles at .5 miles per hour? (Right, I know, 10 hours you smart asses.) We decided to brave the weather and make our own march. As it turns out, about a quarter of the participants had the same idea. We had a lovely walk. The weather was cool and misty, but not unpleasant and we got to talk about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness.

We finished our tour in about an hour and forty minutes and stopped back at the ice rink to collect our T-shirts. All-in-all, it was a lovely day, a silly event, and a great cause.

Honestly, what have Americans come to when we can't take a walk in the rain for a good cause? My friend, who is a British expat said that she's always amazed by how little time Americans spend outside. It's always too hot, too cold, too windy, too still, too humid, too dry or too sunny. She said it was a great day. It reminded her of England. So there. I took a walk in England this morning.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena