Sunday, September 27, 2009

"It makes the whole room look like a fun house"

This lamp is one my holdovers from college life. I don't remember buying it, but I know that's made at least 4 moves with me. It was a cheap lamp, so I wasn't heartbroken when T started banging the end table into it repeatedly when he was learning to walk. We finally decided to replace it today, with an $8.50 special from Target (since we'll likely have another toddler banging into it in a year or two). As we were removing it from its home, Ry said, "There's just nothing that makes this right. It makes the whole room look like a fun house. I don't know what struck me, but I laughed for 20 minutes.
Here's the old lamp next to his new, strikingly similar cousin.
As I was putting the lamp together, I actually glanced at the instruction pamphlet. Keep in mind that this lamp cost us $8.50. Following is the actual copy on the first page of the booklet: "CONGRATULATIONS! You've purchased a fine lighting item from Target. We have designed our lighting with you, the Target guest in mind. Our clear, easy to follow, step-by-step instructions will guide you through the project from start to finish. Feel confident that this will be a fun and rewarding project. The final product will be a quality piece of lighting that will go together smoothly and give years of enjoyment." I'll tell you, I felt rewarded when I finished screwing my lamp together. Best $8.50 I've spent in a while.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

My question is, why have I not received a copy of that picture that is on the wall?!

G'pa said...

I need that picture too! Nice job on the room. The bent lamp will get T ready for college.

 
Designed by Lena