Monday, October 12, 2009

SG-U

I know that most of the readers of this blog are my family. Since I know you all, I also know that you probably don't watch Stargate. That being said, I'm still gonna rant a little about the latest Stargate series: Stargate-Universe.

Ry luuuuuves the Stargate series. The first two, Stargate and Stargate-Atlantis, were good, campy fun. The writers didn't take themselves too seriously. I was able to dismiss a lot of the utter ridiculousness in the shows because they didn't try to be more than they were: campy, escapist, Sci-Fi (SyFy?) fun.

I couldn't stand Battlestar Gallactica. I started calling it "All Screaming, All the Time" and absented myself whenever Ry watched it. It was so very IMPORTANT and SERIOUS, and I just couldn't take it. The newest Stargate has taken a page from the BG playbook and is trying to be very serious and important. As such, I'm having a tough time with it. The last episode, for example, featured several of the main characters venturing onto a desert planet. They knew it was a desert planet, but still decided that one little bottle of water was all they really needed to take. Sunscreen also didn't seem to be a high priority. Of course, lack of water became a driving plot point. I spent most of the episode rolling my eyes. It's all so ANGSTY! Angst and DRAMA! I'm hoping that the series gets back to its roots or I'll be forced to abdicate more TiVO time to dear hubby.

Do you hear me SG-U? Shape up!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena