Monday, October 26, 2009

Tastes like fall

Because T is part of a co-operative preschool, all the parents have responsibility to be "helping parent" for one school party per year. I figured I might as well get mine done early, since who knows what the year will bring. I am therefore the helping parent for tomorrow's Halloween/Harvest party. As helping parent, I am responsible for bringing a snack, providing a few decorations and planning a few games/crafts. Food is complicated by the fact that one of the kids in T's class has allergies to nuts, eggs and dairy. You try finding a baked goods recipe that doesn't include any of these items. No really, I dare you. Most of what you find are vegan recipes that include ingredients I don't know where to find and would never use again (like flax seeds).Lucky for me, I found this recipe for vegan cranberry pumpkin bread that used all ingredients I recognized. I made a few tweaks, based on personal taste and came up with some really, really tasty Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins.
T agreed. Here's the recipe.

Vegan Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup white sugar
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup pumpkin puree
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon orange zest
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon orange juice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend wet ingredients (oil, pumpkin, water, juice).
3. Add dry ingredients. Mix in gently with spoon until batter is moist. Mix in cranberries.
4. Fill muffin tins about 2/3 full with batter
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Eat and enjoy.

Makes 12 muffins.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Dude, I think that if your kid is allergic to practically everything, the other parents shouldn't be responsible for making snacks for him/her.

Also, the muffins look tasty.

Jube said...

In general, I agree with you, but if I can I'd like to accommodate. It must suck to always have to bring separate food.

They were very tasty. I'll use the recipe again.

Cathy said...

These sound so yummy - I shall make them soon. Can you usually find dried cranberries along with the raisins?

Jube said...

Cathy - Yes, they'll either be with raisins or in the produce section with nuts and trail mix. Let me know how they turn out!

 
Designed by Lena